Gwen is a paralegal at Gray Plant Mooty and focuses in the area of intellectual property. She brings with her extensive experience in all aspects of IP law, both domestic and international, with a focus in the trademark area.
Gwen’s background in both corporate legal department and private law firm practice provides a broad range of experience that helps her understand a client’s needs and concerns. While in-house, she gained extensive experience managing the trademark portfolio for a Fortune 500 multinational corporation and later managed the IP portfolio for a mid-size international manufacturing company.
Having worked on both sides of the ‘fence’ she is tuned into efficient use of a client’s resources. Her background has provided her with the tools to work effectively with corporate marketing departments, providing a practical approach to blending the legal requirements for trademarks with the creative goals of the marketing departments. She has provided training to marketing departments and worked with business units to develop stronger IP strategies.
Gwen has shared her love of trademark law in the classroom as an instructor of Basic Trademark Law in an ABA-approved paralegal program for over seven years. She also is active with the International Trademark Association, having coedited the 2005 update of the Trademark Administrator’s Handbook and served on the Program Committee for the 2009 INTA Annual Meeting. Gwen also serves as cochair of the IP Sectional of the Minnesota Paralegal Association, a position she has held for over 10 years.
- "IP Paralegals," podcast interview, The Paralegal Voice, Legal Talk Network, August 2010
- “Trademark Administration: A Guide for Paralegals and Trademark Administrators,” coeditor, 2005
- Electronic Filing, Basic Trademark Law, All District Legal Education, St. Paul, MN, 2002
- Intellectual Property Law for Paralegals, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, a division of Minnesota Bar Association, 1999
- Inver Hills Community College, Paralegal certificate
- Concordia University, B.A. in marketing management
- International Trademark Association, On-line Reference Committee
- International Trademark Association; 2009 Annual Meeting Committee
- International Trademark Association, Trademark Administrators Committee, Education Subcommittee, former chair
- Minnesota Paralegal Association, Intellectual Property Section, former cochair
- Minnesota Paralegal Institute, Instructor Basic Trademark Law
- Volunteer Hennepin Country Domestic Abuse Service Center