Al primarily focuses on assisting companies with increasing revenues and reducing risks in domestic and international transactions. As a highly regarded and trusted advisor, he provides sophisticated advice and counsel to emerging businesses and established domestic and multi-national companies on a broad range of business and legal issues including commercial transactions, license agreements, and supply and distribution agreements. Al also provides extensive expertise in structuring, negotiating, and closing complex mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, strategic alliances, and forming or expanding operations in Canada, Europe, Asia and Africa.
Prior to joining GPM, Al served as assistant general counsel and chief corporate attorney for a billion dollar leading financial services firm. This unique insight has ingrained in Al the discipline to consistently provide pragmatic legal and business solutions that maximize value for clients.
A sought-after thought leader, Al has authored a highly acclaimed and best-selling career development guide, “Secrets to Success,” and has mentored countless emerging leaders. He teaches, writes, and speaks frequently on transactional law topics, and is a regular contributor to national publications such as Forbes.com where his insights have been shared with a multitude of readers.
- “Secrets to Success: The Definitive Career Development Guide for New and First Generation Professionals,” Telemachus Press, 2011
- University of Minnesota, J.D., 2004
- University of St. Thomas, B.A., 2001
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers
Honors and Distinctions
- Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity Fellow, 2014
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Teaching, University of St. Thomas Law School, 2010-2011
- “40 Under Forty,” Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal, 2006
- “Rising Star,” Minnesota Law & Politics, 2006
- Adjunct Professor, contract drafting, University of Minnesota Law School, 2012–Present
- Adjunct Professor, transactional drafting, University of St. Thomas Law School, 2009–2011
- Metropolitan Economic Development Association (MEDA), former pro bono legal volunteer
- Mixed Blood Theater, past board member and treasurer
- Academy of BioScience Charter School, founding board member